Monday, May 26, 2014

How to Cross-Reference

Welcome to Week 8!!!  I can't believe we've come so far so quickly!
Happy Memorial Day to you all!

For the index for the Colossians Series, click here.


Photo Credit
What is cross-referencing?  Finding a verse or passage that says the same thing (or something similar) to another verse or passage.  Example:  Jesus' birth is recounted in Matthew and in Luke; while the focus and stories are different, it still makes the same points.  Another example:  Jesus' baptism is found in all four Gospels and each says almost exactly same thing.

So, I'm going to b honest for a moment with you:  this post has been the most difficult for me to conceptualize and write.  Perhaps it is because I have come to the conclusion that there is no method or set way to cross-reference a passage.

Here is my explanation:


Based on these points, it seems as if there are really only two options when it comes to cross-referencing:
1.  know enough of the Bible to think of parallel passages on your own
2.  follow a cross-reference list from someone else (through commentary, Bible study, etc)

Therefore, I am going to ask all of you to trust me as we move forward in cross-referencing.  I have consulted a few sources and have come up with a few of my own cross-referenced passages.  I am sure I missed thoughts, ideas, and parallels that you or others may see.

It is my hope for us all to learn more and more about the Bible every day; perhaps by studying Colossians together, we can see where it parallels other books of the Bible as we move forward in our studies.


Read through the book of Galatians (only six chapters) and look for passages that sound like or teach something we have learned in Colossians.  Personally, I like skimming over Colossians first to refresh my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment